On Ebay i found a Kenwood TK-3201 in a very poor condition for a low price.
So i bought it and let’s get it back to life!
The problems i found on the radio:
- Very dirty/dusty with metal and rustparticles/dust
- Volume knob missing
- Very poor modulation
- broken corner piece of the battery
The state the radio was when i received it:
Broken off battery corner:
Rust particles in the speaker grill:
I already had the programming cable from the Baofeng BF-888S radio’s so they came in handy with the Kenwood and the Kenwood programming software:
It came with the premium Li-Ion battery pack
Took the radio apart for a good cleanup. Inside was like new and dustfree. Kenwood seals these units very good:
Time for a bath and a good scrub!
A damaged microphone! It is pushed/dented in so it can’t resonate freely so it modulated very poorly:
I found a identical microphone in my partsbin so the old one has to go!
desoldered the damaged microphone:
And in with the new!
Put everything together:
And it looks much better then before!
I ordered new knobs. They will arrive later by mail. The broken off corner piece is filled up now with black rubber.
New volume knob: